More features (was: Re: thanks for nothing)

At 30.01.2014 20:39, Slavko wrote:
Dňa Thu, 30 Jan 2014 06:41:34 -0800 Octavio Alvarez
[...]
This could be great feedback on usability for the project, either to
improve documentation or to improve the interface itself.

For me, the most missing GUI parts are:

+ toolbar with my common task (best is customization) - properties
   (colors, etc), bring to front/back, align...
Placing actions already available in the menu should be an easy task given the right selection. Customization would require some deeper knowledge of GTK. The hardest part would probaly be to put some of Dia's custom property widgets into the toolbar and en/dis-able them based on the current object selection.

+ there is not a cursor change, when it is above the object resize
   point, the GUI feedback is missing
Available with Dia master by https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/commit/?id=24feeaac0d9cb7e906f734bea1b7593acca8e8c9

+ snap to objects around, see below

There is a simple interface to select the line width and colors (below
the shape list), but this affect only new shapes, not existing. And the
recently colors in this interface is not corresponding with the recent
colors from object's properties...

Not sure if you are asking for the Palette preset in the Select color dialog. That's just the standard dialog from GTK. The color menu in the Object properties dialog is specific to Dia including it's recent entries management. But given that the latter again uses the former (More colors...) I prefer to not duplicate the recent entries in the Select color dialog.

When i try similar software, i see as really useful the snap to
neighboring (or another at all) shapes directly while putting, moving or
resizing the object. There was simple (temporary) snap lines drew, when
the object's borders are near another object.

Dynamic guides would certainly be a nice addtion to Dia. I have no plans to implment them myself, though ;)

The snapping is missing for me, e.g. for flowcharts. I want to have
flowchart shapes aligned to center. But it is terrible to center them
while moving the object. Yes, i know about snap to grid, but when the
objects takes different width, it is terrible and i must to use menu
for this. Yes, i can set the same width for shapes, but writing into
the shape sometime resize it - there is not a text wrap option?

Most of these issue are adressed in the development version by:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/log/?id=4e73db4ad9ab4b9f84a86e8091e40be93688b262&qt=range&q=35771b06ef30e669ae450d21137ed77ff8bf5e15..7820801e0f8ec4359b2d8098f92528d567482149

Recently i used some UML shapes for another purpose (the class is nice
shape with big title - then i used it to describe Raspberry Pi IO
pins), but the auto-width was very tiresome for me :-( I solved it by
adding some spaces in property names, but have a option to allow set the
exact dimensions (e.g. by mouse) would be super.

Implemented on Dia master:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/commit/?id=4e73db4ad9ab4b9f84a86e8091e40be93688b262

Allowing to hide (enable/disable, not delete) whole shape lists is
missing too. Now i have a lot of shapes (Debian's package with extra
shapes). When i am searching some shape, the list of lists is growing,
but i cannot remove individual items from it, only clear whole list.

I was thinking about this one as well, but did not come up with a good UI idea. Maybe replace the current approach with some autocompleting, read-only combobox of all the shape names?

In this list of shape lists i have three shape lists separated by line
and they are not deleted with others. But i cannot remember how i add
them here :-) Then i cannot change add nor delete these special
items now...

These are not added by you, but the preset is hardcoded in app/toolbox.c

I can create the custom shapes list, by moving shapes from another
lists, or enable/disable individual shapes in list. But adding new line
from GUI is not preserved.

That's apparently a bug still available with the current development version. Best to be rported with bugzilla to not be forgotten again.

Better SVG support can drastically improve the shapes (and then whole
diagram) look too. IMO the most missing part are the color transitions
(eh my poor English - set the two /or more/ colors to transition from
one to another) and transparency.

SVG import got vastly improved recently. There even is some radial and linear gradient support. See https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/log/?qt=grep&q=gradient and https://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/log/?qt=grep&q=svg%3A for the details. A basic gradient editor and gradient support for shapes is still missing.

End for now :-) It can seem, that i can tell only bad things about dia,
but i exactly mention what i feel as missing and i do not waste time
with writing what is cool ;-) Perhaps i forgot to mention something,
and perhaps i don't know how to do some things only.

Thanks for the exhaustive list although - to me - it mostly does not seem to be geared towards beginners problems ;-)

Regards,
        Hans