Re: Adding comments to an object

On 4/21/14 12:24 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Ken Springer!

I want to make a chart of historical information, and would like to
annotate the chart entry with additional information.
I doubt you want to supply Dia along with your chart...
Either you picked a wrong tool for the job, or you should rethink your
expectations and adapt to the desired result with the tool on hand in mind.
I agree with Andrey, you are probably using the wrong tool for the job:
I suppose what you need is Inkscape, a vector graphics program: you can
slice the svg and make a web page out of it, or animate the SVG directly
(Inkscape doesn't support that directly). A bit of Javascript would do
what you need.
Also, consider Synfig as a tool for animations.

Dima.

Hi, Andrey,

I do not know why, but I never received Andrey's reply.  If there's more
to the response, I do not have it.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2014-April/msg00010.html

Thanks for this link in your reply.

I'm aware Dia is not a spreadsheet program. :-) The first spreadsheet I ever used was VisiCalc, on an Atari 800 computer. A friend and I used it to put together "numbers" for a loan application. It was approved, but we chose not to follow through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visicalc

Dia is a charting/diagramming program, like Smartdraw, but not as complex or versatile. http://www.smartdraw.com/ All I want to do is a simple organizational chart, similar to this. http://www.smartdraw.com/examples/view/city+organization+chart/ or http://www.smartdraw.com/articles/org-chart/what-is-org-chart.htm.

I think Smartdraw is up to version 12, 13, something like that. I own vers. 6 and 9. I do not know if Smartdraw will do this. And it's far cheaper than Visio, but still more than I want to spend.

I would like to have a "marker" in each box that would open up a box like a spread sheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fe0lbsfbmzpmnkj/JLD9Ynmk4n

1.jpg is a cell with a comment attached. There's a small red triangle in the upper right corner of the cell. If this is the active cell, and the comment is being created or has been opened, in this particular spreadsheet program you see a popup box with text and a leader line to the cell it's associated with as shown in 2.jpg. If the cell is not active, and you hover the mouse over the cell, the popup box appears as in 3. jpg.

This is all I'm looking for, and hoping Dia can do.

The problem with using the layer idea is, I think, it would show all the popup boxes at one time. I only wish to have one at a time appear, when needed.

Replying to Dima's message in reverse order, Synfig is definitely not
the tool I need.  That is not the type of "animation" I'm looking for.

You're contradicting to yourself.

Hopefully, you understand why Synfig Studio is not what I'm looking for.

I'm creating an organizational chart structure of information.  If I
choose to, I want to be able to click on an object, in this case a
rectangle, and have another box, or window, open somewhere that gives me
additional information about the data in the rectangle.

This is precisely what is called "animation", or "automation", if you wish.

I would call it a popup box, obviously.   :-)

The information the box/window will be the same type of information you
would get from a footnote, endnote, or bibliography.
It will simply tell me where I got the information from.

Yet again, you expect much from a generic tool.
You can probably do what you want with a bit of Python scripting, but there's
no readily available tools in Dia to do this, that I'm aware of.

If Dia won't do it, that's fine. That doesn't make Dia a bad tool. It just doesn't meet my needs. :-)

I'm not one to change my goals to fit the tools I have, I get the tools to fit my goals, if they exist.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin (anrdaemon freemail ru) 21.04.2014, <22:22>

Sorry for my terrible english...

No apologies needed, I expected English issues to crop up.   LOL

Ken Springer

"All progress depends upon the unreasonable person."
George Bernard Shaw

"Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for
cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!"
President William McKinley

http://www.greeleynet.com/~wordwork/airpage.htm