Re: dia future

Christian, Rob and all the others:

Your input is very much appreciated. I'm also very excited to see 0.97
"out" because
it contains so many important features and bug fixes. But I won't
provide a Windows
development snapshot unless Hans as the maintainer calls it ready to have a RC.
In the past we had one or two times broken release candidates and I
don't want to repeat this.
Dias development is not very dynamic (lack of resources) - this is why
I think that focus on
quality is very important.

Having people asking for the next release is motivating (I even put
the occasional
"development is dead" mail into that box).  Having people complaining
about critical
bugs or "crap software" is not nice and not motivating. But my
experience shows that
exactly that will happen if we push out a half baked thing.

I guess the discussion will still continue. And keep Hans from fixing bugs :-)

For those of you who would like to help testing the current SVN version:

I think that the majority of the bugs is NOT platform-dependent. So you can use
Linux for testing.
If there is anybody who is running Windows exclusively and still would
like to test
before an RC is out - let me know - I would create a Linux VM image
with Dia building from SVN for you. Precondition is that your hardware
is capable of running
VMs. No 256MB RAM Windows 98 setups, please!

No rules without exceptions. If you contact me because you want to
demo a Dia development
snapshot in order to get that project that is important for you (or
deploy Dia on 10,000
workstations), I would provide you with that snapshot in private -
hoping that you'll not
leak it... And hoping that you would donate a serious amount of money
for the Dia development :-)

Regards

Steffen