Re: Bug 455400

Hello again, Thomas. I have tried to work through the instructions in your e-mail below, but I still have some questions. I apologize for being such a newbie on this stuff, but I'm anxious to learn more about how this process works. The good news is that I have written some additional documentation for the Object Alignment area as well as for text entry. So I just need to figure out how to get this back into the repository without breaking anything.

Here are my specific questions.

1. I did the command "svn co  http://svn.gnome.org/svn/dia/trunk/doc/en " and it appears to have built a local copy of the repository.
2. I did the command "svn update" and it says "At revision 3732."
3. I think I know how to make the file edits I want to make, but I'm not clear about how to find and commit uncommitted changes (e.g., #439974 and any others). Is there an svn command I need to run to do this?
4. I think I know how to do the svn diff command to put my local changes back into the main repository. I'm running the Windows version of svn, but I assume that doesn't matter?
5. I'm not clear about the "hardcopies makefile" you talk about. In my local directory, there is a file called Makefile.am. Is this the file? How do I run it?
6. I have docbook loaded (under cygwin) and I can do docbook examples. I assume I can find "jw" and "openjade" with cygwin. Are these what I use to run the Makefile.am ?

Again, I apologize for my lack of experience with this. If it would be easier for you, I can just edit the specific xml files and e-mail them to you or someone. Otherwise, I'm happy to keep plugging away on this. Thanks again. Mark Dexter

On 7/23/07, Thomas Harding <thomas harding laposte net> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 05:27:04PM -0700, Mark Dexter & Deb Cowley wrote:
> I looked at the link you supplied and found where I would like to add some
> new text (as outlined in the bugzilla bug). I would propose adding a new
> section called 'Text Entry" just after Using Objects / Deleting Objects.
> This appears to be in the file
> http://svn.gnome.org/svn/dia/trunk/doc/en/usage-objects.xml

There are several patches on documentation already in queue (notably
#439974, but there are maybe others).

I strongly recommend you apply these patches to your local svn and
continue on it (eg, to avoid conflicts on chapter numbering), then
upload on the same bug item. Do not forget to check "obsoletes patch
#xxx".

> I'm happy to do this, but I want to make sure I follow the correct
> procedures. Is there a version control system for these XML files? Do I
> follow the procedures documented for source code changes?

Simply svn co the complete source tree, edit the files, then
svn diff -x "-u" > ../my_pretty_patch
, then upload

> Is there a
> recommended XML editor program I should use?

Vim !
Or any text editor...

> When you say there are a number
> of uncommitted changes, is that something I need to worry about?

See above about conflicts

> I'm an experienced programmer and writer but I don't have much experience
> with creating electronic documentation. So I apologize for having all of
> these questions.

OK,
you will need a few programs/data to build the doc and check for errors
(althougth basically xml files are just copyed in the right place, I
added a "hardcopies makefile" to build pdf, html and postscript
versions. If it builds without errors, then your files are OK :)

jw (package docbook-utils on a Debian system)
openjade
docbook-xml => xml dtd
docbook-xsl => xslt stylesheets
optionnally, imagemagick or graphicsmagick for postscript figures

HTH,
--
Thomas Harding