Re: Bug 455400

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 09:04:59AM -0700, Mark Dexter & Deb Cowley wrote:
Hello again, Thomas. I have tried to work through the instructions in your
e-mail below, but I still have some questions. I apologize for being such a
newbie on this stuff, but I'm anxious to learn more about how this process
works. The good news is that I have written some additional documentation
for the Object Alignment area as well as for text entry. So I just need to
figure out how to get this back into the repository without breaking
anything.

You and me cannot write back the stuff ourselves: that is maintainer's
work. All we have to do is to post the patches in bugzilla.

Here are my specific questions.

1. I did the command "svn co
http://svn.gnome.org/svn/dia/trunk/doc/en<http://svn.gnome.org/svn/dia/trunk/doc/en/usage-objects.xml>"
and it appears to have built a local copy of the repository.

Correct, good point.

2. I did the command "svn update" and it says "At revision 3732."

OK

3. I think I know how to make the file edits I want to make, but I'm not
clear about how to find and commit uncommitted changes (e.g., #439974 and
any others). Is there an svn command I need to run to do this?

Simply download the patch you want to apply, then go into the top of
source directory you created with svn, and run:
patch -p0 < /path/to-the-diff

4. I think I know how to do the svn diff command to put my local changes
back into the main repository. I'm running the Windows version of svn, but I
assume that doesn't matter?

You think with reason. To obtain a new patch with yur changes, go back
again into top of source directory, then run
svn diff -x '-u' > ../diff

Note that if you have created new files/dictory, you have to run "svn
add myfile" before (that's true for the new files I added into my patch,
too).

5. I'm not clear about the "hardcopies makefile" you talk about. In my local
directory, there is a file called Makefile.am. Is this the file? How do I
run it?

No, the hardcopies.makefile comes along with the diff from bug #439974.
While you do not have applied this one, file never comes.

6. I have docbook loaded (under cygwin) and I can do docbook examples. I
assume I can find "jw" and "openjade" with cygwin. Are these what I use to
run the Makefile.am?

No, they are not needed by the vanilla Makefile (and you need to run
configure to create it from Makefile.am)

You need them only to create hard copies (postscript, html and pdf), not
for the normal compile/install of dia.

Again, I apologize for my lack of experience with this. If it would be

That doesn't matter, anyone have the same problem one day or other!

easier for you, I can just edit the specific xml files and e-mail them to
you or someone. Otherwise, I'm happy to keep plugging away on this. Thanks
again. Mark Dexter

Your will. If you choose to make it yourself, and experience problems
you don't figure how to solve, feel free to send me personal e-mails.

Regards,
--
Thomas Harding