Re: Metapost - text alignment

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Rob McDonald wrote:

For example, DIA doesn't know how to calculate the width of the following string.

$c^2=a^2+b^2$

Sorry for butting on this thread, but it just struck me that maybe MimeTeX would be of interest to Dia?

        http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html

I've actually used it for wiki pages so that embedding $c^2=a^2+b^2$ results in a GIF-image with that formula. MimeTeX doesn't need a LaTeX installation, it's got its own (simple) renderer. The additional wiki stuff caches the mapping of '$c^2=a^2+b^2$' to .gif, so it's only generated once and therefore quick

Anyway, maybe this could be useful for Dia. One use could be to get a rough idea of the size of a formula. Another idea could be to let Dia embed formulas inside drawings by incorporating MimeTeX.

If MimeTeX isn't good, there might be other simple renderers that could be used for this purpose.

cheers
/christian