Re: UI issue: Text edit mode

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 00:23 +0200, christian ridderstrom gmail com
wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Lars Clausen wrote:

I have my doubts about what would be best for entering.  My ideas so far
are

1) Press "Enter" to start editing text.  Pro: Frees all other keys for
shortcuts.  Con: Non-obvious

Sounds ok to me, although somewhat non-obvious. I'd expect that clicking
inside a text inset (so that you place the cursor somewhere), would leave
me in text mode by default by the way.

Remember that some objects are nothing but text inset.  Just using
clicking could cause some confusion if you double-click timing is off or
if you are trying to move something.

Perhaps a con is that a user might expect 'Enter' to insert an enter.
OTOH, since he doesn't get one, he'll just press enter again.  It'd be
nice with a strong visual guide telling you what mode you are in.

A strong visual indication of edit mode is a given.

-Lars