Re: UI issue: Text edit mode

Hello again. As I've thought about it a little more, I am worried that some users will be annoyed by option (1). Users don't like changes that "break" something that use to work. So I'm now thinking that option (2) or (3) might be best. Would it be feasible to allow the program to continue to work as it does now and make the new edit mode an option? This would eliminate the backward-compatibility issue. Mark

On 8/9/07, christian ridderstrom gmail com <christian ridderstrom gmail com > wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Lars Clausen wrote:

> I have my doubts about what would be best for entering.  My ideas so far
> are
>
> 1) Press "Enter" to start editing text.  Pro: Frees all other keys for
> shortcuts.  Con: Non-obvious

Sounds ok to me, although somewhat non-obvious. I'd expect that clicking
inside a text inset (so that you place the cursor somewhere), would leave
me in text mode by default by the way.

Perhaps a con is that a user might expect 'Enter' to insert an enter.
OTOH, since he doesn't get one, he'll just press enter again.  It'd be
nice with a strong visual guide telling you what mode you are in.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr