Re: Feedback wanted: Autogap and mainpoints

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:57:28 -0700, Lars Clausen wrote
As avid users of CVS HEAD may have noticed, we have switched back and
forth between two modes of connection recently:  One where any line can
be connected to any object by dragging the end anywhere within the
object (let's call this autograb), and one where there's a visible
mainpoint (in red) that connects lines such that they go to the edge
only (let's call this mainpoints).  I'd like to hear some opinions on
how to make one solution that works for everyone (or at least as
many as possible).

Right now, I'm not a user of CVS HEAD , so I'm not fully aware of possible behaviors; but I
need to let you know about my worries about this subject.

I accept autograb may be quite important for many users. But:

 Connection points for some shapes are quite essential for my aplliccation and they are not
interchangeable:  I read with a Perl program which shapes are conected and which are these
conection points.

(I am not sure I will be able to say, in English, what I want... Please, be patient ... thanks)

So when any kind of autograbbing is at work, i would need the possibility of existence of
objects  which never  be autograbbed; for theese objects, the only way of connection would
be the traditional one; and of course, it would be more aggreable that traditional way  for
theese objects will be always present.

 If it were not possible to have objects permanently not acceptting autograbbing, then
I would appreciate suggestion 5.

Here's a couple suggestions for improvement:

1. With autograb, make moving the whole line not do autograb.  Only when
the end of the line is moved is there autograb.

2. With autograb, make lines with all ends entirely contained within
an object not do autograb on that object.

3. With autograb, if moving from a connection point on an object to
somewhere else within that object, it doesn't autograb.

4. Have a toggle button like the grid button that switches between
autograb and mainpoint behaviour (can be combined with the other two).

5. Have mainpoint/autograb be toggleable on an object-by-object basis

(can also be combined with the first two, makes less sense with
toggle button).

Personally, I lean towards 1, 2, and 4, but there may be possible
behaviours I've missed, and I'd like to hear y'alls opinions.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>