Feedback wanted: Autogap and mainpoints

As avid users of CVS HEAD may have noticed, we have switched back and
forth between two modes of connection recently:  One where any line can
be connected to any object by dragging the end anywhere within the
object (let's call this autograb), and one where there's a visible
mainpoint (in red) that connects lines such that they go to the edge
only (let's call this mainpoints).  I'd like to hear some opinions on
how to make one solution that works for everyone (or at least as many as
possible).  Here's a couple suggestions for improvement:

1. With autograb, make moving the whole line not do autograb.  Only when
the end of the line is moved is there autograb.

2. With autograb, make lines with all ends entirely contained within an
object not do autograb on that object.

3. With autograb, if moving from a connection point on an object to
somewhere else within that object, it doesn't autograb.

4. Have a toggle button like the grid button that switches between
autograb and mainpoint behaviour (can be combined with the other two).

5. Have mainpoint/autograb be toggleable on an object-by-object basis
(can also be combined with the first two, makes less sense with toggle
button).

Personally, I lean towards 1, 2, and 4, but there may be possible
behaviours I've missed, and I'd like to hear y'alls opinions.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>