Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

Le Thu, Jul 17, 2003, à 10:05:28PM +0200, Krzysztof Foltman a écrit:

Well, FWIW, I find the "instant apply" thing extremely confusing and
frustrating. What's wrong with a cancel button?

Cancel is for modal dialogs.

Property dialogs in GNOME are encouraged to be modeless (a controversial
HIG idea, but not that bad IMO). You're supposed to be able to switch
between document and the line width window.

Yes, but no. We already have too many windows, and there are too many ugly
and capability-less window managers out there (and not all systems have the
option of switching in a better WM -- yes, Bill and Jim, that's you I'm
talking to).
Really, having four or five windows opened for a single application on a
screen any less than 1600x1400 at 96dpi is just shifting the burden from
clicking on "cancel" to clicking on the task bar; which is more confusing
than anything else.

As for switchable instant/explicit - no, please. It's not that easy, and
that time could be better spent on more important things (like getting
rid of the dreaded CSDI model ;-) ).

I was just joking...

        -- Cyrille