Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

Le Thu, Jul 17, 2003, à 09:03:14PM +0200, Krzysztof Foltman a écrit:
As someone from #usability noticed, most in dialog boxes in Dia are
completely HIG-uncompliant button order-wise. I could try to do the
gruntwork and fix them, but I'm not sure if I should make attribute
dialogs instant-apply (with only Close button) or explicit apply (Try,
Cancel, OK).

Any opinions ? (I'd go for instant apply, as changing attributes or
defaults for attributes is not - in my opinion - "irreversible,
destructive or otherwise inconvenient to the user").

Well, FWIW, I find the "instant apply" thing extremely confusing and
frustrating. What's wrong with a cancel button? Especially when you have
non-discrete values you can change (think: colour hue, or floating-point
values. Not even counting a chronoline event specification). Sure, there is
undo, but undo is not a visible button which affords pushing.

OTOH, I really can't disagree with reordering buttons, and in fact, while
you're at it, it might be possible to get both behaviours (Try/Cancel/OK or
instant-apply) with a configuration option (no, I don't want to make your
life miserable, just a little challenging ;-) )

        -- Cyrille