Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:05:28 +0200
From: Krzysztof Foltman <kfoltman onet pl>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

Well, FWIW, I find the "instant apply" thing extremely confusing and
frustrating. What's wrong with a cancel button?

Cancel is for modal dialogs.

Property dialogs in GNOME are encouraged to be modeless (a controversial
HIG idea, but not that bad IMO). You're supposed to be able to switch
between document and the line width window.

Having a slightly more generic modeless dialog that did things like Fill
and line style for the Current Object (or selection of objects) would be
pretty nice.

The current Layers dailog is a modeless dialog with instant apply.

I have been giving it some thought and double clicking on a shape to get
at its Line Sytle and Fill properties is quite different from any other
diagramming program i have looked at, most seem to use a Format menu and
have a fairly generic dialog.  Might be nice to have a Format menu as well
to make it easier to discover these things.

Instant apply with Revert/Undo button, maybe ? (I don't know if it's
kosher HIG-wise, but it may be nice/useful)

You would use the application Undo stack.

As for switchable instant/explicit - no, please. It's not that easy, and
that time could be better spent on more important things (like getting
rid of the dreaded CSDI model ;-) ).

I am no fan of CSDI but I dont want to chuck the baby out with the
bathwater.  The alternatives are not so great eitehr.

Being able to stick the toolbar always on top and to have a maximised
document window is quite usable.  (would be even better if i could go
fullscreen with menubar, a feature which the GIMP recently gained).

Krzysztof

Tired, probably not making much sense ... z Z Z Z

Later

Alan