Re: Build problem with dia-0.88.1

On 2001.09.06 18:58 Ben Stanley wrote:

I had a problem with the sgml files while building dia-0.88.1. I got a 
whole bunch of errors like

Working on: /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/dia-0.88.1/doc/en/dia-manual.sgml
cannot generate system identifier for public text "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook 
PNG Variant V1.1//EN"
reference to entity "BOOK" for which no system identifier could be generated
jade:/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/dia-0.88.1/doc/en/dia-manual.sgml:1:0: entity 
was defined here
jade:/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/dia-0.88.1/doc/en/dia-manual.sgml:16:0:E: DTD 
did not contain element declaration for document type name
there is no attribute "ID"
element "BOOK" undefined
element "BOOKINFO" undefined
element "TITLE" undefined

When the error count got to 200 (on usage-objects.sgml), jade gave up 
and the rpm build process failed :-(

I've got RH7.1 with openjade-1.3-13 installed.


Looks like the same problem I encountered with the CVS version a while ago.  The
explanation from the GNOME documentation people follows.  I haven't gotten
around to trying a work-around yet.


On 05 Aug 2001 22:43:26 -0700, Andrew S . Halper wrote:
On 2001.08.04 00:38 Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

* You need recent versions of the packages {jade, docbook,
  docbook-utils, docbook-dsssl, docbook-stylesheets,
  cygnus-stylesheets, etc.} of the whole DocBook rendering system. The
  exact names of the packages vary from system to system; this list is
  only a starting point! If compiling the documentation fails, please
  report on dia-list gnome org once you've found which packages to

Tell me whether you have more success with that.

OK, I did upgrade this stuff:

docbook-utils-0.6.9-1 (from Rawhide)
docbook-style-dsssl-1.64-3 (docbook-utils dependency, also from Rawhide)
gnome-doc-tools-2-0 (from GNOME Documentation site, to get GNOME PNG variant

Right, that's what that package provides.  I think it's got Dave's
png2eps util in there as well.

I'm still getting the error, but I have a better idea why now.  When the 'make
install' happens in doc/en, this command is executed:

cd . && /usr/bin/db2html dia-manual.sgml && touch stamp-doc

"/usr/bin/db2html" is a shell script that calls "/usr/bin/jw" is a shell
that calls "sh /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.9/frontends/docbook
centralized-catalog", which returns the file name
It looks to me like "sh /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.9/frontends/docbook
centralized-catalog" should return the file name "/etc/sgml/catalog" because
when I run:

Right, that's the old command.  It'll work using the old tools, but not
the new ones.  If you take a look at the sgmldocs.make in gnome-core
HEAD, you'll see how this has been fixed by some of the docs hackers.
Please feel free to copy/steal this file, and adjust it to your needs.

All of these scripts are part of the docbook-utils-0.6.9-1 package that I got
from Rawhide, but I'm pretty sure I was having the same problems with the 7.1

Yeah, we like to call it a "feature".  db2html and related tools only
work on DocBook documents.  Most of the GNOME docs are using a (slight)
variation of the DocBook DTD, which allowed us to use PNG images in our
docs.  Instead, one needs to call jw, or db2html, and point it at the
master catalog, else it gets confused.  This problem will be going away
in the GNOME 2.0 timeframe.  Look for docs hackers to make a mess of,
err, update, things, once the API freeze is complete, and porting work
begins.  Later,

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]