Re: How to detect a gtk desktop programmatically

I have heard JavaFX
improved the UX situation a lot, though I have not seen any app using
that myself.

Albeit slightly off-topic, JavaFX was removed from the JDK starting with Java 9, so any UX/UI improvements it brings come with other, larger complications to app developers. Meanwhile Java's up to version 14 now.  Java 8,9,10 are EOL and 12,13,14 aren't LTS.  Personally, I file bugs upstream against 11, since it's LTS.  With exception the work by JetBrains, Desktop integration has mostly the same since Java 6, so these types of bugs are going to crop up.

As an OpenJDK community member, I find it my civic duty to obtain as much information as possible to aid in the fixing of these bugs, improving the experience for Java and Linux alike.