Re: How to detect a gtk desktop programmatically

On Wed, 2020-04-29 at 15:59 -0400, Tres Finocchiaro via desktop-devel-
list wrote:
I'm asking how to detect a Gtk desktop.  An answer that says "always'
isn't really correct.  The use-cases for this -- as indicated by the
Debian search results in the commit that removed this flag -- were in
the hundreds.

Which does not prove anything. Much of those hits will date back to
code that was written way over ten years ago. When GTK might have not
been as good and–more importantly–other desktops may not have
integrated as well with GTK.

So, yes, people have checked that in the past and it probably was a
deliberate choice back then. For various reasons, I would expect that
"Metal" would have generally been considered better overall. And GTK
probably ended up looking really bad in some cases because 1) the
default theme used to be ugly and 2) other desktops did not integrate
as well.

None of these reasons are true these days. GTK integration is good
across various desktops. "Metal" is probably less modern look wise than
a default ("unthemed") GTK is.

I agree with Ray. With the selection you have, just always choose GTK
on Linux. I truly expect it is the best choice on all desktops a user
might choose on Linux.

The ability to detect a Gtk-based desktop seems like a perfectly
valid question.

You are looking for magic that simply does not exist. Just always
GTKLookAndFeel and you will most likely have the best results across
the board.

Benjamin

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM Ray Strode <halfline gmail com>