Re: How to detect a gtk desktop programmatically

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:16 pm, Tres Finocchiaro via desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
As an aside -- as a Java developer, I've personally never forced the Gtk theme in my applications -- because back when I used KDE the Gtk theming wasn't very good. From the comments above it sounds like the mailing list is fairly comfortable stating that the Java Gtk theme should simply be default for all Java applications on Linux and I'd be happy to begin testing that theory as it may help simplify the downstream implementation that OpenJDK chooses to implement.

Well it sounds like everyone here agrees it's the best choice everywhere today. If you had a Qt theme, you would want to prefer that when running on KDE or LXQt, and use GTK everywhere else. You would want to detect those two desktops using $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP. But you don't have a Qt theme, so best use GTK everywhere and you don't need to bother with any environment variables. Simple.

I would worry about the future, though. I'm skeptical that updating to GTK 4 will ever be possible (due to the removal of the foreign drawing API that allows non-GTK apps to render boxes and buttons and such using the GTK theme). So even if it's the best option today, I don't see much long-term future here. I'm not sure what the Java community should be doing, but probably thinking about this early would be better than waiting until GTK 4 is released and it's too late for major changes.