Re: How to detect a gtk desktop programmatically

Am Do., 30. Apr. 2020 um 00:32 Uhr schrieb Zander Brown <zbrown gnome org>:

That's an unfortunate truth which is why I was hoping for an alternative way to detect this.
At time of writing this, Ubuntu's the only one I've found modifying XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and keep something
indicative of Gtk inside e.g. (ubuntu:GNOME).

Nothing about "ubuntu:GNOME" is "indicative of Gtk", it's stating the fact your running Ubuntu's modified
GNOME session.

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP is supposed to indicate just that: the current desktop environment

Not some insight into whatever technology that desktop is using - other variables like XDG_SESSION_TYPE do
that

Really there is 3 approaches here:

Convince every desktop session to export "OPENJDK_HEY_IM_GTK" and look at that. - and then wait 4/5 years
for that to trickle down to users
Maintain a map of know names in OpenJDK itself
Assume all Linux based platforms use Gtk

When your trying to choose between Windows, GTK, Aqua, Motif & Metal the best choice would seem to be 3

When KDELookAndFeel becomes a thing you can worry about detecting KDE or LXQt, currently this is a rather
academic exercise

I have no idea how the Gtk LaF is implemented in Swing and if it needs
any Gtk system libraries.
Wonder how it would behave if you run a KDE or Qt based desktop and no
Gtk libraries are installed,