Re: I believe we should reconsider our sys-tray removal

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 12:33 PM, Florian =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCllner?= <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
I'm not. The StatusNotifier spec is seriously flawed, and I don't want
to support it unless at least the issues that were raised ten years
ago are addressed (the spec was put up for "review" on xdg-list, but
then any comments were hand-waived away with "if you don't like it,
don't implement it").

Seriously, the spec is so crappy that there are two implementations
that are both compliant, but interpret the spec in different and
incompatible ways (see the implementation-specific handling in [0]).

If we want to support something *like* appindicators, it must be a new
and fixed API[1] that apps can port to, not the existing API, sorry.

Since this spec is the closest we have to something workable, I think it would be productive to define the technical changes GNOME would want to see in order to support something close to it. Seems like our designers are willing to consider design changes, and the technical problems with the status notifier spec look like the biggest hurdles currently.

I don't think it's hugely problematic if our solution for status notifiers is not backwards-compatible with existing applications. KDE can be changed. So can libappindicator. Third-party apps like Dropbox will eventually be updated once Ubuntu adopts an hypothetical upstream GNOME solution for status notifiers, even if it takes a couple years. We don't have to solve everything overnight.

Michael