Re: I believe we should reconsider our sys-tray removal

I don't think that using TopIcons is somehow bad or impure, it is just inconsistent in whether or not it is maintained or not. The fact that we have Topicons, TopIcons Plus, and TopIcons Redux just shows the inconsistency. And our end-users all probably don't know which of the three is the the one they should use. And this doesn't even begin to mention KStatusNotifier which is Ubuntu's solution.

An extension for this purpose is fine imo, as long as it is made very well clear WHICH extension.

I love @fmullner's idea of him taking on a "GNOME official" extension, something that could even be bundled by default in the "gnome-shell-extensions" package that many distros have:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/gnome-shell-extensions/

It seems like Florian has already expressed a willingness to step up in this instance