Re: Clarifications regarding GNOME Online Accounts

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM, Sam Thursfield <ssssam gmail com> wrote:
1. require every user of the software to contact Google and obtain their own client ID, which they provide at runtime to any desktop software that needs to interact with Google APIs at

Ha ha.

2. require distributors and people who build their own software to contact Google and obtain a client ID, which they provide at build time

We could require that our distributors provide their own API keys, but they're still going to be embedded in the public (open source) build definitions (RPM, deb, whatever) so that fails.

3. continue distributing a "GNOME key" with the source code, and hope that Google don't mind

I suggest we don't continue to willfully violate Google's terms of service now that the issue has been brought to our attention. The only reasonable option seems to be to shut down our Google integration. Not just from g-o-a, but also the Safe Browsing support in Epiphany.

Michael