Re: GitLab mirror considered harmful

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 6:37 AM Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
I agree with Michael here,

I think a lot of people just default to github and being there has value in itself. The Pull Request is indeed a not so great situation and I think we should think hard about making it easy for people who took the time to contribute.

Since switching from Bugzilla to GitLab I've had exactly one person try to contribute a GitHub pull request to GJS, who subsequently threw a temper tantrum when he found out that GitHub was not the main repo and went on a bizarre rant claiming that GitLab was a conspiracy so GNOME could collect people's email addresses. I wasted my weekend figuring out how to respond politely while still calling him out on that BS. I have not seen any positive outcomes from the mirror since the switch to GitLab.

Does anyone have any success stories to share? If it is actually helping other maintainers, then maybe we should just overhaul the bot a little (see suggestion below.)

For as long as GitHub does not support disabling PRs, we can think beyond the current solution and expand fron auto-close to something that brings the maintainers attention. Maybe opening an issue in GitLab that points to the original PR so that the maintainer can persuade the original PR author? Is this something maintainers would find acceptable?

Could we take it all the way and just push the PR branch to "$github_user_name/$branch_name" in the main repository on GitLab, and open a merge request automatically, then instruct the auto-close bot to direct the person to GitLab, possibly telling them how to create an account as well? Also tag the maintainer's GitHub account (if they have one) in the auto-close message, so they get a notification?

El lun., 4 feb. 2019 a las 14:27, <mcatanzaro gnome org> escribió:
On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 8:59 PM, Christopher Davis via
desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
> If we keep the mirrors around, then we should at the very least
> ensure that pull requests aren't able to be opened at all
> on the repos.

GitHub doesn't allow disabling pull requests, that's why we have the
auto-close bot. I believe someone from GNOME asked supporting this
previously and they told us no.

FWIW I don't care if we leave the mirror up now that we have the
auto-close bot.

Michael

Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz