Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:20 PM Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> I don't like the fact that the bug report and the merge request are
> separate.

I don't like this either. This just makes no sense.

While I tend to agree, I do see a use case for the separation - multiple pull requests for a single issue, if a fix involves changes to multiple products.

We currently often avoid the overhead of cloning the issue, and just attach all patches in the same report (say, a gsettings-desktop-schemas patch and the settings consumer, mutter/gnome-shell). That assumes that whoever applies the patches knows where the different bits go, and linkified commit hashes get messed up for non-matching products.

That said, going from a attached-patches-only workflow to a branches+pull-requests-only workflow looks like swapping a toolbox full of hammers for a toolbox full of screwdrivers - the current workflow gets awkward with bigger patch sets, while pull requests add overhead that's fairly pointless when dealing with just a couple of patches (most issues really) ...

Florian