Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

Hi!

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Carlos Soriano via
desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
Hello Mattias,

Thanks for sharing your thoughs!

Your concern is about using fast forward merge. Yes, we raised this concern
as the top most important for us, and as we mention in the wiki we have good
news, GitLab team is willing to strongly consider making fast forward merge
to CE if GNOME decides to switch to GitLab.

Don't worry much about this one :)

Good to read! This would also be a big problem for GIMP. We are trying
to keep up master commit log as linear as possible, without any merge
commits (it failed sometimes, errors were made!).

One of my other main issues with github/lab is the way it forces you
to fork a project on your personal account so that you can contribute.
Many of my contributions to various projects are one-liners or small
commits (as is the case for many developers). When I do this, I want
to just upload a git formatted patch file (which will also be easy for
the reviewer to test with a `git apply|am`).

Unfortunately gitlab does not allow simple .patch files.If I recall,
you can still upload one but there is no support of it. That's just
considered as a text file. So you don't get the UI for review, etc. It
is not handled the same as there "merge requests".
Well last time I tried. Correct me if I am wrong.

Github/gitlab wants to force you to fork the project into a public
repository on your private account so that you can make a pull
request. This is seriously stupid IMO and very poor workflow. That's
the reason why github/gitlab is absolutely littered with useless
repositories containing absolutely no difference with the upstream
repository (except they are outdated since the person didn't touch it
for months). I'm sure trash "fork" repositories are the majority of
github/gitlab contents.

Could GNOME's gitlab instance make sure that patch files are properly
handled so that contributors are still allowed to upload patches?
Will GNOME's gitlab instance have the same politics on "everything
should be forked one thousand times"?

Jehan

P.S.: apart from this, I am happy that things go forward and I think
gitlab has some great tools for code reviewing, and simpler UI for bug
reporters. But there are some things which really make things
complicated each time I have to contribute to a github or gitlab
project (since gitlab is apparently trying to mimic github on many
core features). This made me not contribute sometimes on some projects
when I thought that the annoyance was worse than the usefulness of my
patch (whereas if I could have just git-formatted a patch, I would
have done it).

Best regards,
Carlos Soriano