Re: Librsvg 2.41.0 is released

On Fri, 2017-01-06 at 01:23 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
I'd be very careful in framing this issue in absolute terms like
you've been doing. For instance, I think you need to be explicit in
saying you're speaking with your Fedora packager hat on.

Does it matter when, when pushed to master and released, it was broken
for every developer?

 Personally, I have no problem in having people rely on pip, cpanm,
npm, or cargo to get their software in order to build ours - just
like I have no issues when people need autoconf-archive for a fancy
m4 macro. I would not ask programmers that wish to add to our
platform to bend over backwards and use tools that are not part of
the common workflow of their community and platform in order to
satisfy the requirements imposed by third parties like Linux
distributions.

"It downloads third party software" is not a convincing rationale
when we are pushing for things like Flatpak, or when we use things
like SCSS to generate our CSS.

False equivalence?

And the current librsvg, downloading helper libraries from the
Internet, wouldn't even compile under Flatpak.

Additionally, the fact that something that is commonly used by
millions of developers around the world is "unacceptable" to Linux
distributions is what I was referring to as "routing around".
Personally, I couldn't care less about the damage inflicted upon me
by Linux distributors, so to me there is no problem to be solved at
all - just a reality that should have long since been accepted, like
bundling.

librsvg isn't some little library we put in the application bundle.
It's at the same level as gtk+ in the core desktop dependencies.

Saying that it's all a problem with the distribution workflow is a lack
of understanding about what this workflow tried to avoid and fix.
Downloading random shit from the internet as part of the build isn't
secure, isn't reproduceable, is difficult to debug and integrate.

I don't think it's too much to ask that librsvg is compilable offline.