Re: Librsvg 2.41.0 is released

On Thu, 2017-01-05 at 11:37 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

Hm, I'm excited for Rust, but I think we probably do not want GNOME
depend on an alternative package manager like cargo, right? At least
that would require some serious discussion here first.

Librsvg still uses autotools; it just calls cargo when building the
Rust sub-library, that is then linked statically into the final
librsvg.so.

That *will* download, compile, and link stuff like gtk-rs statically
into librsvg.so.  I don't think this is a problem in the long term:
with things like Flatpak we are already moving away from distros trying
to mandate which dependencies one uses, and moving towards developers
making that choice on their own.

For now, I've pushed an librsvg-2-40 branch and switched jhbuild to
use
that. Please remember to update jhbuild and Continuous when adding
new
dependencies. ;)

If you really want to avoid librsvg 2.41 for jhbuild, then hardcode it
to the 2.40.16 tarball.  I will not be doing any maintenance on the
2.40 series anymore.

In the meantime, build systems are really not my thing, and I would
appreciate help in making this all work with jhbuild / gnome-
continuous.

  Federico