Re: Librsvg 2.41.0 is released

On 5 January 2017 at 17:37, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-01-03 at 18:48 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
Librsvg 2.41.0 is just released!

This is the first version to have Rust code in it.  The public API
remains unchanged.  Apologies in advance to distros who will have to
adjust their build systems for Rust - it's like taking a one-time
vaccine; you'll be better off in the end for it.

Hm, I'm excited for Rust, but I think we probably do not want GNOME to
depend on an alternative package manager like cargo, right?

I don't see why not. Cargo is not just a "package manager" (unless by
"package manager" you mean "something that clones a list of Git
repositories") but also the preferred build system for Rust.

At least
that would require some serious discussion here first.

I don't see why *GNOME* should discuss about this at all. This is a
build dependency, not a run time dependency. Sending an email to
distributor-list ought to be enough.

The new build dependency, on the other hand, may require some
additional discussion on a Linux distribution's mailing list — though,
considering the fact that every single programming language community
has been routing around Linux distributions for the past 20 years, I
don't expect anything to be resolved.

For now, I've pushed an librsvg-2-40 branch and switched jhbuild to use
that. Please remember to update jhbuild and Continuous when adding new
dependencies. ;)

Rust and Cargo should just be part of the system dependencies; you
don't want to build them via jhbuild.

As for Continuous, we should be able to add Rust to the Yocto base.
Unfortunately, the build bot is still not running (and it hasn't been
building images since early December), and I don't have access to it
to check why.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--