Re: libmediaart required for Tracker

On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 08:25 +0100, Jens Georg wrote:

I am unfamiliar with the innards of Grilo so, I can't say if it competes
or duplicates efforts there.

Not really. I'd say Grilo could use it for populating the media art
cache using its last.fm or tmbd plugins to make those available to other
consumers or use it in it's local metadata plug-in to get the cached
media art. So all Grilo users would profit.

For the case of providing thumbnails, in Grilo we have 3 plugins.

- LastFm plugin: basically if fetches the thumbnail URL from lastfm
service and gives it to client (the URL itself, it doesn't download
anything).

- TMDb plugin: similar to above, but using TMDb service.

- Local-art plugin: the same, but this time it searches for the
thumbnail in the local disk. It implements (or tries to) the
MediaArtStorageSpec to fetch them. We discussed with Music team that it
would be a good idea to have a separated library to deal with this spec.
So probably this plugin could use libmediaart to fetch the coverart from
disk, and just get rid of our own custom code.

But we could have the inverse relation too: libmediaart could use Grilo
to fetch the thumbnails from webservices, and then download it and
stores in local disk following the spec. Grilo would only provide the
URL (using, for instance, lastfm or tmdb plugin) and libmediaart would
be in charge of saving the URL on disk.

        J.A.