Re: libgsystem as a shared library

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 11:24 -0500, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
I mean, copylibs have existed forever, usually by just copying files
around from project A to project B, and back from project B to project
A. Why does structuring this process in a git submodule make it
suddenly illegal in Fedora review?

I cannot speak for Fedora but ARAIK the packagers don't like bundles as
if you have security issue with library X you need to track and find all
users instead of patching in one place. In addition you might get symbol
collisions if you are not careful.

I'm quite opposed to making gsystem a shared library. libgsystem is,
to me, 1) a way to put non-portable Linux-specific or gcc-specific
stuff, 2) a staging ground for GLib components, for projects that want
to get real-world usage before they land in GLib. And I'm sort of not
a fan of 2), since it means that there's no motivation to get stuff
into GLib (think of all the churn that happened with GSubprocess).

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se>
wrote:
        On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 03:21:06PM +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
        > On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
        > <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
        > >
        > > What was the issue that happened in Fedora package review?
        Why
        > > doesn't it apply to our copylibs right now, or e.g. libgd?
        > >
        > I think no one noticed libgd...review only happens on
        initial
        > submission, there's no real rigorous ongoing process (I
        won't comment
        > on the sanity of this model now).

        Packages using libgd often have 'Provides: bundled(libgd)' in
        their
        spec files.

        Cheers,
        Debarshi

        --
        Wearing non-prescription glasses and embracing obscurity
        doesn't

  Jasper