Re: libgsystem as a shared library

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
One little point tho, how come this can't be installed into GLib proper?

First, there's the aspect where libgsystem acts as a "staging ground" where APIs can get real-world use before landing in GLib.

Two examples of this:

GSConsole
gsystem-log.h (systemd journal via a GLib-like API, also acts as a "soft" dependency)

Second, it contains "backported" API.  An example of this is "GSSubprocess", which is now in GLib.  But a lot of my code (and NetworkManager) has to run on EL7 for example, which is just GLib 2.36. So it makes sense to have a "common backport" area.  Yes, GLib will likely get rebased, but libgsystem helps in the meantime by avoiding code duplication in the meantime, and I will

Third, it will contain APIs like the local allocation macros that I don't think should
go into GLib.  (Although this is admittedly debatable)