Re: gnome-Session

Le dimanche 27 janvier 2013, à 15:32 +0100, Lanoxx a écrit :
> On 27/01/13 14:38, Vincent Untz wrote:

[...]

> So I understand that the first two lines are related to each other.
> First its defined that there should be a required provider TASK
> named 'windowmanager' and then we specify that the default provider
> for this task is gnome-wm. I also found the .desktop file in
> /usr/share/applications. So far so good.
>
> RequiredProviders=windowmanager;
> DefaultProvider-windowmanager=gnome-wm
>
> But this line here is where I get confused:
>
> DefaultProvider-notifications=notify-osd
>
> There seems to be no other line that references a TASK named
> notifications and there is also no corresponding .desktop file in
> /usr/share/applications. What I do not understand is, how do I know
> what is a valid provider?

It's probably worth checking in the code, but I think that it marks
notify-osd as autostart, and give it a higher priority than other
"notifications" providers (like notification-daemon).

The fact that it's not in RequiredProviders simply makes the session not
fail if notify-osd cannot be started. So it's not required, just
recommended.

> Does gnome-session hard code the valid provider names somewhere in its
> soure, or is this some kind of interface that is known by the TASKS?

No, anything can be used.

> What would happen if I just remove that line, would the notification
> system stop working?

Yes, assuming there's notify-osd or notification-daemon defined in the
autostart path.

Now, it's worth mentioning that all this is gone in 3.8, see
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-session/commit/?id=098fad4ea1be6953f66fc457df1943a31247611a

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.