Re: gnome-Session

On 27/01/13 09:02, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le dimanche 27 janvier 2013, à 00:30 +0100, Lanoxx a écrit :
Hi,

in the man page of gnome-session I cannot find any explanation or
reference about the following fields in a .session file:
I guess it's best to look at
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session as an example if the man
page doesn't cover this.

IsRunnableHelper and
This is the path to a binary that is executed by gnome-session to know
if the evaluated session can run or not. The exit value of the process
is used for that.

For instance, right now, we use
@LIBEXECDIR@/gnome-session-check-accelerated that checks if hardware
acceleration is available to determine if gnome-shell can run or not.
(I guess this will change to allow llvmpipe in 3.8)

FallbackSession
This is the name of the other session that will be used if the
IsRunnableHelper test failed.

For instance, in 3.6 and earlier, it was gnome-fallback as the fallback
mode was used when hardware acceleration wasn't available.

DesktopName
This is not used, not sure where you saw that.
On Ubuntu all the session files have such a line.
Additionally the man page mentions TASK in the context of required
and default providers, but does not explain that in more detail.

Where do get more information about what these tasks and providers
are and what they reference? For example in one of my session files
I find these lines:

RequiredProviders=windowmanager;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=gnome-wm
DefaultProvider-notifications=notify-osd

Who do I know what the TASKs windowmanager and notification are?
Under which circumstances could I add another line with some other
TASK and why would I want to do that?
You can define anything as a task.
So what is a task used for and why whom? Does gnome-session just simply run any of the specified TASKs?
The providers for a task are found in
the .desktop files, thanks to the X-GNOME-Provides key. These .desktop
files must either be in the autostart paths, or explicitly mentioned in
DefaultProvider-TASK.
So there should exist a gnome-wm.desktop and notify-osd.desktop file somewhere, yes? Could you give me the exact path where I can find it?

Could I put a new line there and point it to any application's desktop file and it would get started, say for example anjuta?

DefaultProvider-anjuta=anjuta

Or have I misunderstood something here?

Cheers,

Vincent