Re: gnome-Session

Le dimanche 27 janvier 2013, à 00:30 +0100, Lanoxx a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in the man page of gnome-session I cannot find any explanation or
> reference about the following fields in a .session file:

I guess it's best to look at
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session as an example if the man
page doesn't cover this.

> IsRunnableHelper and

This is the path to a binary that is executed by gnome-session to know
if the evaluated session can run or not. The exit value of the process
is used for that.

For instance, right now, we use
@LIBEXECDIR@/gnome-session-check-accelerated that checks if hardware
acceleration is available to determine if gnome-shell can run or not.
(I guess this will change to allow llvmpipe in 3.8)

> FallbackSession

This is the name of the other session that will be used if the
IsRunnableHelper test failed.

For instance, in 3.6 and earlier, it was gnome-fallback as the fallback
mode was used when hardware acceleration wasn't available.

> DesktopName

This is not used, not sure where you saw that.

> Additionally the man page mentions TASK in the context of required
> and default providers, but does not explain that in more detail.
>
> Where do get more information about what these tasks and providers
> are and what they reference? For example in one of my session files
> I find these lines:
>
> RequiredProviders=windowmanager;
> DefaultProvider-windowmanager=gnome-wm
> DefaultProvider-notifications=notify-osd
>
> Who do I know what the TASKs windowmanager and notification are?
> Under which circumstances could I add another line with some other
> TASK and why would I want to do that?

You can define anything as a task. The providers for a task are found in
the .desktop files, thanks to the X-GNOME-Provides key. These .desktop
files must either be in the autostart paths, or explicitly mentioned in
DefaultProvider-TASK.

Cheers,

Vincent

--