Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

If someone takes my code and puts it on Github, it's their right to do
so. I won't like it, but I won't stop them. It's their freedom.

But in this case it's not someone randomly copying my work: It's
*direct* mirroring of all my code, directly to Github, in an official
manner.

If you want the features of Github, copy its code and run your own
instance. Using it officially means endorsing it and making it more
popular. If you want to endorse it, I won't stop you. But I don't want
to be part of this because of the Github issues I mentioned.

Convenience is not everything. Some people don't use a smartphone
because they want privacy. Or they don't use GMail, for the same reason.
In a similar manner, people should be able not to have any formal
connection to Github.

I'll repeat: You can mirror anything you want to Github, just let module
maintainers decide on their modules. Cloning a git repo and uploading to
Github is very easy, we both know that. It's not like people can't
upload code to Github without the mirrors.

On ה', 2013-08-15 at 09:47 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM, fr33domlover
<fr33domlover mailoo org> wrote:
        On ה', 2013-08-15 at 14:29 +0000, Marco Scannadinari wrote:
        > On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 16:13 +0300, fr33domlover wrote:
        > > Allow me to clarify:
        > >
        > > You're free to use github mirrors, it's your right to do
        so. But I have
        > > the right not to cooperate with this. All Gnome
        maintainers have this
        > > right.
        > >
        > > If you're going to enable those github mirrors, make sure
        any maintainer
        > > can easily turn off mirroring for their module.
        >
        > why?

        Because Github is centralized, and partially proprietary. And
        it has
        great alternatives like Gitorious and Gitlab, which don't
        suffer from
        these problems.

Having used both of these tools, they aren't anywhere near what GitHub
does.

Gitorious is slow, hard to navigate, and tends to spit out error
messages when trying to load files from anything other than master.
It's also impossible to view any binary file (icons, images) without
downloading.

GitLab is an attempt at emulating GitHub, but it feels like the
standard "open-source clone of closed software" in that it's years
behind and doesn't really have its own design or identity.

        > By releasing your code under a Free license such as the GPL,
        you are
        > allowing others to take your code, and essentially, do what
        they want
        > with it. Free licenses by design are made to allow this, and
        if your app
        > is part of the Gnome project, then Gnome are free to "do
        what they want
        > with it", in this case, to create a *read-only* mirror on
        GitHub in the
        > intrest of convenience.

        Software freedom is more important for me than convenience. If
        you're
        interested in convenience you can use MS Windows, Dropbox,
        Facebook,
        Skype and Github. Stop developing Gnome and just watch TV all
        day.
        That's convenience.

        I feel that some decisions taken in the name of Gnome don't
        consider
        software freedom. That's not fair, especially because many
        people here
        are volunteers, and some of them volunteer in the name of
        software
        freedom, not convenience or profit.

I'm curious how this is different than somebody taking your code
repository and putting a personal fork of it on GitHub. Is it because
GNOME's mirrors are called "official", and that you feel that having a
presence on any proprietary infrastructure feels detrimental to
GNOME's philosophy and mission?