Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On ה', 2013-08-15 at 14:29 +0000, Marco Scannadinari wrote:
On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 16:13 +0300, fr33domlover wrote:
Allow me to clarify:

You're free to use github mirrors, it's your right to do so. But I have
the right not to cooperate with this. All Gnome maintainers have this
right.

If you're going to enable those github mirrors, make sure any maintainer
can easily turn off mirroring for their module.

why?

Because Github is centralized, and partially proprietary. And it has
great alternatives like Gitorious and Gitlab, which don't suffer from
these problems.

By releasing your code under a Free license such as the GPL, you are
allowing others to take your code, and essentially, do what they want
with it. Free licenses by design are made to allow this, and if your app
is part of the Gnome project, then Gnome are free to "do what they want
with it", in this case, to create a *read-only* mirror on GitHub in the
intrest of convenience.

Software freedom is more important for me than convenience. If you're
interested in convenience you can use MS Windows, Dropbox, Facebook,
Skype and Github. Stop developing Gnome and just watch TV all day.
That's convenience.

I feel that some decisions taken in the name of Gnome don't consider
software freedom. That's not fair, especially because many people here
are volunteers, and some of them volunteer in the name of software
freedom, not convenience or profit.