Re: GnomeGoal for 3.8: DesktopFileKeywords

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 ubuntu com> wrote:
> Le 15/11/2012 09:19, Henrique Ferreiro a écrit :
>
>> Matching on any of the languages installed in the desktop would probably
>> be the most sensible way to do it.
>
> Hi,
>
> Not sure matching in other languages, including english, is a good idea. The
> typical $locale user is searching for a word in his language, likely having
> no clue that english has a similar looking word with totally different
> meaning ... the net result is that he will get listed something that's not
> remotely relevant to what he was looking for without understanding why. You
> need to go quite some way to figure "ok, that work might mean something else
> in some language I don't know and the system is trying to help me"...

If you think that searching English in addition to your $LANG is a bad
idea, then try following scenario:

1. Switch your system to Russian language
2. Run into some problem
3. Search the solution.  You may use your knowledge of English here.
Found solution will be in English with high probability (of course, if
solution will be found at all).
4. Try to apply found solution.

If system will reject your input (e.g. make you unable to run Terminal
and insist that you should run Терминал instead), then you become
locked out of luck completely.

If there indeed exist a problem, when users were unable distinguish
theirs native language from English, then I may propose a compromise:
Disable fallback to English for languages, which use Latin aplhabet,
and allow fallback to English for other scripts.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew w nosenko gmail com>