Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 10:29 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
<snip>
> > and get them to package up the missing
> > bits. An afternoon's work, and no need to scream bloody murder.
>
> As mentioned above -- Lennart has no intention of making it easy to use
> his code outside of systemd (and I don't blame him).  This is not a
> matter of some simple packaging -- more like reimplementing a D-Bus
> interface in a new code base (which could originally be copied out of
> systemd, but then would have to be maintained separately).  This is not
> an afternoon's work.

In about 40 minutes, I created a binary RPM[1] that contains the 3
services we care about in GNOME from the systemd Fedora package. I
believe you do something similar.

1) Try to make it compile on your distribution. I needed that patch:
https://gist.github.com/1648337
That's the hardest part if your distribution isn't one listed here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/configure.ac#n411
Make sure to disable everything you don't need, for example:
https://gist.github.com/1648324#L57
2) Remove all the unnecessary files from the installed package:
https://gist.github.com/1648324#L81
3) Make the D-Bus service work with D-Bus instead of systemd:
https://gist.github.com/1648324#L99

Voila. You have something that kind of works. Patches for Debian/Ubuntu
specific support can go upstream.

Cheers

[1]: That would be because it's been so long I was a Debian Developer,
they revoked my account.