Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

hi Bastien,

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 12:36 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> No, the distributions/systems that choose not to use systemd will have
> to provide a compatible D-Bus service.

This is what I guessed you'd say.

> It can be something "extracted" from systemd, or something new and
> revived from the old date and time mechanism, but it won't be something
> we support and maintain in gnome-settings-daemon.

> And I'm glad I have 3000 less lines code to maintain.

I'm just a little bit concerned about how this looks.  I love when we
can delete code, but we're doing it by disabling a previously-working
feature for a portion of our users.

If we introduced new optional features that depended on a particular
systemd functionality in order to operate, it would be one thing.  We do
that often.  This change is a regression of existing functionality in
the name of "I don't feel like maintaining it anymore".

I'd also feel a bit better if I thought you had made efforts to get in
touch with those that would be affected by this regression.  Ubuntu
isn't shipping GNOME 3.4 g-s-d/g-c-c, this cycle, for example, but for
the last week I've been trying to convince them that they should.  If I
had succeeded (which I am now glad I didn't) then this change would have
been a royal pain, creating a whole lot of new work to fit into an
already full schedule.

Many of our own end-users will still want to install GNOME 3.4 onto
their Ubuntu systems (myself included).  I look forward to the mention
in our release notes about how they can no longer change their time
because we wanted to delete a bit of code.

Cheers