Re: Design in the open

2012/4/27 Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:
>> 2012/4/25 Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>:
>> So, IMHO a design driven GNOME needs good desing documents. The
>> "design document is a written contract"[4] between designers and other
>> teams, more time you spend writing it, less time you'll spend explaing
>> here on desktop devel list :)
>
> For me, design in the open is about developers and designers working
> together as partners, not hyper-specified design documents.

Wait. I never said to keep apart designers and developers. As communty
we have the great advantage and opportunity to work together. But
while some developers and some designers could need or like to be
closer in order to produce a better software or experience, I believe
it's also fair to let other contributors and community members to be
well informed about what's happening and why.

> That might
> not give observers as much to see, but it provides contributors with a
> real opportunity to shape our project.

So, for example, as release team member, all I currently know about
new Videos app proposal, based on availabe info on mailing list and
wiki, is:
   * will resemble similar existing apps for tablets, but GNOME style
   * will use clutter APIs
   * will be developed inside totem source tree (replacing?)
If I'm right there is no code yet available on git to check.

I don't want and I don't have time and resources to help you with
design or code writing. But I'm involved in this change and I feel I
need more info[1]. And developers will need r-t approval before
proceding with this change.

Now, do I have to ping people involved or simply I've to trust them?
Can we be helpful each other writing more informations (neither final
in stone, nor iperdetailed, just more) somewhere? Or a different
proposal path (the one suggested by Rodrigo, for instace) could be
more effective?

Cheers,
Luca

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2012-April/msg00135.html