Re: Design in the open

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:
> 2012/4/25 Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>:
> So, IMHO a design driven GNOME needs good desing documents. The
> "design document is a written contract"[4] between designers and other
> teams, more time you spend writing it, less time you'll spend explaing
> here on desktop devel list :)

For me, design in the open is about developers and designers working
together as partners, not hyper-specified design documents. That might
not give observers as much to see, but it provides contributors with a
real opportunity to shape our project. That's not something I would
want to take away.

GNOME design is often misunderstood as creating specifications that
are handed down on tablets of stone. That's not the way it works -
each design is typically the outcome of a process of iteration, and we
keep on iterating right through the development process.

> PS
>
>> * a process for resolving design disagreements - perhaps maintainers
>> or the release team could mediate if a dispute seems intractable?
>
> hmm.... disagreement between ... ? designers and maintainers?
> designers and contributors? designers and i18n/doc/a11y team?
> designers and users? designers and release team itself?

Whoever and whoever. :)

Allan