Re: Design in the open

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:

then, why not do the proposals for new designs here in d-d-l? That way
you might get initial feedback before starting on the design, and people
that feel ignored get info on what's going on. Then, you can just keep
working as you do right now, but an initial proposal on this list, as we
do for features, might be a good idea to get everyone interested
involved

My fear here is that there would be a high signal to noise ratio.  If you saw how much traffic we had in gnome-shell on the 3.0 designs, it was quite painful.  That's why I had proposed that we have a list where only gnome-foundation members could post.  While anybody can see the designs itself.

We finally got DDL down to a relatively high signal to noise ratio.   Of course some of that is because a large number of developers no longer subscribe to DDL.  In any case, I don't know if designers will get the feedback they are looking for.

BTW I hope we look at how we do mail next!

sri