Re: Applying for lockdown editor writing in GSoC

Thanks for the tips!

Re: configuration import/export. At the start I envisioned it only for
lock-down settings not to override other existing user settings, but
this might as well be used as a full configuration importer/exporter.

Re: note from Stefan Skoglund about documentation – point taken. I
understand the importance of documentation, but haven't coded in
documentation driven development model before.

I think I could try to patch gnome-shell to disable workspaces and/or
disable overview mode – this could be useful for a single application
(kiosk) environment, where the top panel should be visible (time, volume
and accessibility controls are required). Should this be done until
Friday?

Updated work schedule:

1) Understand the target audience (May 1)

2) Gather requirements (May 5)
2.1) Look into Pessulus features
2.2) Read Pessulus feature requests
2.3) Ask users for user input

D0) List of desired features (May 30)

D1) Mock-up of the software, no functionality (June 10)

3) Start implementing functionality for lock-down editor (June 10)

4) Check if applications support the required lockdown features(June 20)
4.1) If not, negotiate implementation with the developers

D2) List of results (application support status for each feature)
    (June 30)

D3) First functional lock-down options (Mid-term deliverable in July 10)

5) Write patches for other software if needed functionality is lacking
(July 10)

Note: going to GUADEC and persuading other programmers to implement last
missing lockdown features (July 26 – August 1)

D4) Full lock-down functionality (August 1)

6) Write basic configuration import/export (August 1)

7) Polish the lock-down editor (i18n, finish documentation and such)
(August 1)

D5) Program ready for use (August 13)

8) [post GSoC feature] Make a configuration server and implement
configuration fetching from a URL

Finally, a quick and dirty mockup in the attachment.

P , 2012-04-02 15:23 +0200, Vincent Untz rakstīja: