Re: New module proposal: LightDM

Shaun:

Perhaps "display manager" programs are special in some way that only
allows for one to be approved at a time.  But I do not remember anyone
discussing any special considerations like this in this thread.

I think that's the idea behind the Apps moduleset, but not Core.
Core is the operating system. Apps are some things we think you
might like to install on top of it.

At least, that's my understanding.

As I have said several times, I do think GDM is more aligned with
GNOME.  So, if GNOME is only allowed a single display manager, I very
much agree that GDM seems the obvious choice.

Looking at the core 3.2 modules, it looks like there are some duplicate
modules to support things like "fallback" (e.g. GNOME Shell and
gnome-session):

http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets/gnome-suites-core-3.2.modules

I guess if GDM is the only GNOME display manager, this means that GDM
will either not require OpenGL, or will provide ongoing non-OpenGL
support, or it will not be possible to login to GNOME fallback mode
using GDM.

Brian