Re: New module proposal: LightDM

Shaun:

So the question here is not "Does LightDM better serve
the needs of some GNOME-based operating systems?" The
question is simply "Should LightDM replace GDM as the
display manager for GNOME?"

Perhaps I am confused, but I thought that the recent moduleset
reorganization was designed to get The GNOME community out of the
business of having to decide whether to promote one program over
another, when they do the same sorts of things.  A common example being
should GNOME promote rhythmbox or banshee?  I did not think there was a
need to decide whether one should replace the other for both to be
considered GNOME modules.  Or perhaps I misunderstand the goals of the
moduleset reorganization.

Perhaps "display manager" programs are special in some way that only
allows for one to be approved at a time.  But I do not remember anyone
discussing any special considerations like this in this thread.

Brian