Re: New module proposal: LightDM

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 11:56 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> However, GDM may not be the best display manager choice for particular
> users or distros who have more stringent security requirements or who
> may require reviewing or auditing of security related programs like GDM.

Hi Brian,

I think the crux of the issue here is what GNOME Core is.
With 3.0, we've shifted to defining the entire system and
user experience, start to finish. Core is not a collection
of parts we tell distributors to pick from. It's the user
experience we're calling GNOME.

Of course, GNOME is free software, and you can pick parts
of it to build your own operating system. If people want
to build things based on GNOME technology, that's great.
And if LightDM fits their needs better, they should use
it. But the purpose of Core is not to prescribe all the
parts they might choose from. They're smart people; they
can figure that out on their own.

So the question here is not "Does LightDM better serve
the needs of some GNOME-based operating systems?" The
question is simply "Should LightDM replace GDM as the
display manager for GNOME?"

--
Shaun