Re: Feature Proposal - Sushi

Il giorno dom, 15/05/2011 alle 21.50 +0200, Olav Vitters ha scritto:

> 1. Evince is supposed to be a generic document viewer. Is there any
> overlap with Sushi?

Yes and no. Evince only works with PDF/PS/$TEXTUAL documents, while
sushi should also manage images, audio, video and probably more.

Moreover there is a difference between a previewer (sushi) and a
viewer/player (evince or eog or totem). You can think of it like a 3
level approach:

     1. thumbnail -> this is what nautilus currently does: a small and
        static representation of your files (48 px)
     2. preview -> this is where sushi will place itself: more details
        on a single file (larger thumbnail, for example 512 px, limited
        navigation for textual documents or quick playing/seeking for
        media files)
     3. view -> the full applications, allowing you a full access to
        selected file (for example annotations in PDFs or print or
        subtitles)

> 2. What about the file associations? You might want to easily view
> things, or actually work with the file (change it). How would this be
> handled? What would happen by default on a double click?

Also, what about content handler/previewer? I remember this similar
feature on mac os provides a dedicated API and policy allowing third
parties to provide their own "previewers" (i.e. gimp should/could
provide the plugin to allow previewing of xcf files)