Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:38:09AM +0200, Michael Terry wrote:
> So the big question to GNOME is how much do ya'll want to avoid the
> extra step of such collaboration for Features you consider part of
> your core?  Is that a hard-blocker?  Who gets to decide if it is?
>
> I'm theoretically open to moving infrastructure, pending a weighing of
> benefits.  But I'm also curious if GNOME is even theoretically open to
> me not moving.

This depends if it is considered an external dependency or not.

If you're an application: use whatever you want, though GNOME infra is
preferred

If you're external: use whatever you want, though GNOME infra or
freedesktop.org is preferred

If you're GNOME core: GNOME infra.

GNOME infra ensures everyone in GNOME automatically can get involved
(commit access, bugzilla, translators, etc), release-team has a good
overview (we track everything in GNOME infrastructure, not anywhere
else), we can assign GNOME milestones to stuff, etc.
AKA: Network effect.

Also: I'd consider Zeitgeist as (potential) external dependency.

--
Regards,
Olav