Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On 11 May 2011 19:18, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Looking at your proposal it seems that you are proposing Deja Dup for
> inclusion in the GNOME core. You also seem to want it to be developed on
> LP and for it to simultaneously exist as a standalone app, though. This
> opens up some potentially tricky issues:
>
>  * What do we do about the infrastructure question? Core modules are
> supposed to be developed as a part of the wider project; that means that
> they use GNOME's infrastructure.
>
>  * Can you technically achieve the level of integration that we're after
> if Deja Dup continues to exist as a standalone app? (This is a serious
> question - I don't know the answer.)
>
>  * Branding - a part of the core should be branded as a part of GNOME 3,
> and I don't think we'd want GNOME's new backup facility to visibly exist
> outside of GNOME.

I'm coming into this interested less in questions framed as "how can
Deja Dup make GNOME better" than as "how can Deja Dup being part of
GNOME make users' backup experience better".

For example, I think of the infrastructure question in terms of
whether there's a reason to believe switching to GNOME infrastructure
will result in more or less maintenance work being done.

And the branding question less in terms of "will it be better for
GNOME marketing" than "will it be better for users".

-mt