Re: Gnome Feature Request

> Why not at the time of the menu?
Cause it will be to slow, way to slow. Making choices based on the
data you think we should send to the service will be slow, any
decision at all will take to long for a responsive UX to act.

> I'd rather see "No definitions" inline in the menu than having a new popup window tell me the new thing.
No one is talking about new popup windows. That's a pretty rushed
thought for something is still an idea, and, it's up to the app
developer how they will handle the data and the interaction with the
service, so It's kinda naive to assume you will have popup windows
informing you of the results of anything.

> You said that you didn't want a daemon started, so we can't use D-Bus in that case, unless we use D-Bus autostart, but I don't see the value in that either.
You miss-understood me, when I said I didn't want a daemon, I was
talking about a daemon of each application registered. In the first
email I said that D-Bus should provide the infrastructure for the
service/module.

Now the hard part:
> The only tangible idea I can extract out of this is querying a service with something akin to a mimetype, and getting a list of programs that can handle it. I query the service with SEMANTIC_WORD, and I get "/usr/bin/gnome-dictionary-lookup-word %s" back.
That's more or less the whole point of it. With SEMANTIC_WORD would
return gnome-dictionary, and some others too, and even more than not
regular gnome-dictionary, but gnome-dictionary called in a way that
the app show just a small overlay with the definition, and nothing
else.

> ... and I still can't see how you would build jumplists out of this
Ohh, that so easy, the jump list are composed of two main things,
recent files opened with that app, and sub-actions other than the main
purpose of the app. Well the for recent files part there's already
zeitgeist for that, but for a list of sub-actions of every app that
allow it, then you can query the service I'm proposing. Because you
should already know by now that querying the service about a specific
action is not the only way of interacting with it.

> There might be an inch of value in that idea, but I don't see it.
> I don't see the value in this service
Hopefully, you're not the main man behind Gnome. Gnome Desktop
actually needs integration/communication between applications, to
start looking as whole, like is already doing with the system settings
trying to provide a niche for a bunch of somewhat different settings,
and the way to provide that is centralizing communications and
interactions, acting as a middle man between desktop apps.

>But if you want to go ahead and build whatever your idea appears to be, nobody's going to stop you.
And this is just rude and useless.

Erick

--
El derecho de expresar nuestros pensamientos tiene algún significado
tan sólo si somos capaces de tener pensamientos propios.