Re: On the Interaction with the design team

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 14:31, Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:38, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
>> > Pretty good list of examples. All of these projects are mostly driven by
>> > Red Hat full-time employees (which isn't a bad thing in general). It
>> > happens to be the same company employing big parts of the core design
>> > team.
>> >
>> > While this doesn't mean it is a "closed group" of people, for an outside
>> > developer or volunteer it pretty much feels like that even if the
>> > individuals of that group are totally open to external
>> > contribution/envolvement.
>>
>> To *who* does it feel that way? If you're going to insinuate that
>> people have tried to get involved and been rebuffed, then I think the
>> responsibility here falls to you to provide an example. Please don't
>> talk around the accusation by inferring that it's some kind of RH
>> conspiracy. It's not.
>
> Johannes is definitely a active member of the GNOME community, and in
> my opinion the work he has been doing to make it possible for new
> developers to come and use our platform is underestimated (Anjuta,
> the dev doc tools hackfest, the continued work on platform demos,
> etc.).
>
> Therefore I don't think you should dismiss what he wrote, as if he had
> just a vague knowledge of our community, mimicking his message as
> "there's a Red Hat conspiracy".

I know who Johannes is. Let me be more clear: Johannes, do you fear
that the design team is exclusionary or have you actually seen it
happen? If the later, let's see if there is something from that
experience that informs about a way we can improve things.